End of Summer Air Conditioning Tips
What to Do Before Autumn
This summer has already been a scorcher. It might be hard to imagine not needing your AC to cool your southeastern Massachusetts home. But cooler days will be here before you know it. And soon you’ll be turning up the heat instead of the AC. Before those days come and your AC goes into hibernation, there are some things you should do.
Your End of Summer AC Checklist
Your AC works hard for you all summer, and that can lead to wear and tear that might cause problems next cooling season. Here are five things to do for your AC before the summer ends:
- Replace the air filter. You should have been changing the air filter throughout the summer. If you haven’t, do it before the start of heating season. This is especially important if you have a combined heating/cooling HVAC system. Changing your air filters on a regular basis is a simple and cost-effective way to help your air conditioner perform better.
- Clean around the outdoor unit. Check for and remove anything that may block airflow, e.g., bushes, grass, nests, and leaves.
- Clean and clear the coils and condensate line. This is best done by a professional as part of a maintenance visit. W.H. Riley & Son provides thorough AC maintenance. We’ll make sure that your AC is in good shape and that there are no unpleasant surprises in your AC’s future. Regular professional maintenance is the best way to keep your AC in excellent working order and prevent breakdowns.
- Inspect your AC. Look and listen. Look for any obvious frayed wires or rust. Listen for unusual sounds. If you hear anything out of the ordinary, contact W.H. Riley to request a service visit. Other things to look out for at the end of the summer are refrigerant leaks and frozen coils. If you schedule a maintenance visit with W.H. Riley, we’ll carefully inspect every component of your AC system for wear and tear and other problems. We also make sure all moving parts are fully lubricated and that there is sufficient refrigerant.
- Schedule a tune-up. If you didn’t get maintenance for your AC during the spring or early summer, do it now. The end of summer or early autumn is actually a great time to schedule your AC maintenance. Tune-ups don’t wear off, so doing it now will give you one less thing to worry about next spring/summer. And if we discover your AC requires a significant repair, there will be plenty of time to order replacement parts or upgrade your system. And because W. H. Riley also performs boiler and furnace maintenance, we can come to do your cooling and heating system maintenance during one service visit. How convenient is that? (Note: the temperature must be at least 70 degrees to properly service your AC. You can’t get a reliable refrigerant test below that.)
Reliable AC Repairs
If you notice any problems with your AC, contact W.H. Riley & Son for service. We’ll address any issues so that you can rest assured your AC is in good shape and will work for you come next summer. And whenever it’s time to replace your AC, we can help with that as well. We’re one of the region’s leading air conditioning providers. Whatever your AC needs are (maintenance, repairs, or replacement), our trained and certified technicians are ready to put their knowledge and experience to work for you.
Service You Can Count On
At W.H. Riley & Son we provide our southeastern Massachusetts customers with exceptional service. Click here to see if your home is in our service area.
Contact us today to learn more about what W.H. Riley & Son can do for you.