Tips for Spring Cooling System Maintenance
Give Your AC Some TLC
Spring is finally here, and that means summer is just around the corner. It might be hard to imagine it now (especially given the winter we had in Massachusetts this year), but in just a few months you’ll be sweltering under the summer sun. When the summer really heats up, you want to be sure that your AC is up to the task of keeping you and your family nice and cool and comfortable—even on those scorching hot days. Now is a good time to evaluate your AC and make sure it gets all the preparatory care it needs to be ready for the summer months ahead.
You’re only as old as you feel, but the age of your AC matters. If it’s 15 years or older, you should consider replacing it. Better to replace it now than have it fail you in the middle of a heat wave. Plus, even if you’re sure your unit can still keep things cool enough for you, old ACs usually have a SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) rating as low as 6. Modern models have a SEER rating of 15 or higher. That difference will have a significant impact on how much you spend on your cooling bills. Investing in a new, high-efficiency unit now, will save you money on cooling costs and repairs over the long run.
W.H. Riley & Son is one of our region’s leading air conditioning providers. Whether you’re looking to add air conditioning to your Massachusetts home or want to upgrade your system, our trained and certified technicians can help you make the right choices for your needs and comfort.
Springtime AC Maintenance
Here are some springtime maintenance tips for making sure your AC is ready to keep you and your family cool:
- Check the thermostat. This is the brain of your HVAC system. If it’s not working right, nothing else will either. Replace the batteries. And if you don’t already have a programmable thermostat, now is a good time to invest in one. Programmable thermostats are an easy and cost-effective tool for managing your summer cooling costs.
- Check your vents. Check all the rooms in your home to make sure your vents aren’t blocked by drapes, curtains, furniture, etc. You want cool air to be able to enter each living space freely.
- Check your ductwork. A duct leak can cause you to lose up to 15% of the air your unit has cooled. Seal up any obvious leaks and fix out-of-place duct joints in exposed ductwork areas.
- Clear the drain line. This will prevent water from getting diverted back into your home or toward your foundation and causing serious problems.
- Check your AC filter. Blockages reduce your air filter’s efficiency, and a chronically blocked AC filter could cause your cooling system to fail. Make a habit of checking your air filter at least once a month. Depending on the model of AC you have, clean or replace your filters as needed.
- Check your electrical lines. Wiring problems could cause you to lose power to your AC. Check all electrical connections and circuit breakers.
- Clean the outdoor condenser unit. Check for debris like leaves, twigs, and nests. Your condenser unit should never be covered when it is in use. There needs to be adequate airflow throughout the entire home cooling system chain.
Whenever you begin using your AC, check for signs of a refrigerant leak. Indicators of a leak include poor cooling, ice on the evaporator coils, and wet spots near your AC condenser.
Important Warning Signs
Contact W.H. Riley for service if you notice any of the following issues, because they may mean your air conditioning system needs professional care:
- Unusual smells (e.g., scorched or musty)
- Strange noises (e.g., pops, rattling, clanging, or whistling)
- Uneven cooling
- Inconsistent airflow
- Family members experiencing increased allergy symptoms while indoors
- An unexplainable rise in your utility bills (i.e., one not caused by increased usage or prices)
Professional AC Maintenance
The best way to keep your air conditioning system running smoothly is to make sure that it receives proper maintenance. And one of the best times to have your air conditioning serviced is during the spring. On the first warm day of spring, start your AC and let it run for 15 minutes. If it’s not blowing cold air, contact W.H. Riley & Son. Better to get it fixed now than when you really need the relief.
The benefits of proper maintenance:
- You’ll avoid inconvenient and costly repairs.
- Your air conditioning system will run more efficiently (saving you money on cooling costs).
- You’ll extend the lifespan of your air conditioning system.
When W.H. Riley & Son provides AC maintenance, you get thorough service. As part of a maintenance visit, we carefully inspect every component of your AC system for wear and tear and other problems. We also make sure all moving parts are fully lubricated and that there is sufficient refrigerant. In short, we make sure that your AC is in good shape and operating at maximum efficiency.
Service You Can Count On
At W.H. Riley & Son we provide our southeastern Massachusetts customers exceptional customer service. Click here to see if your southeastern Massachusetts neighborhood is in our service area.
Contact us today to learn more or to schedule a tune-up for your air conditioning unit. With W.H. Riley & Son on the job, you get service you can count on!