Some Common Oil Furnace Problems & How to Fix Them
Troubleshooting tips for your oil furnace
It always seems to happen on the coldest day of the year. One morning you wake up to an unusually cold house. It’s not a broken window. It’s not a door someone forgot to close. Your oil furnace has stopped working. Now what? There’s no need to worry. There are some simple steps you can take that may get your oil furnace back up and running and can save you having to call for service. But if you do end up needing professional help, there’s still no need to worry. If you live in southeastern Massachusetts, W.H. Riley & Son can handle all your furnace needs.
Oil Furnace Troubleshooting
Don’t panic if your oil furnace isn’t working. Just follow these simple steps:
- Up your thermostat to at least five degrees above whatever the current room temperature is. (For some thermostats you’ll also need to activate the “heat” setting.) If that doesn’t get your furnace to start after a few minutes, proceed to the next step.
- Confirm that your system’s power switch is in the “on” position. If it is, proceed to the next step.
- How full is your oil tank? If you don’t have at least 1/8 of a tank, call W.H. Riley & Son for a delivery of heating oil. We provide the highest quality heating oil with exceptional customer service. If you have at least 1/8 of a tank, proceed to the next step.
- Go to your circuit breaker box. Confirm that all the circuit breakers are on. If they are, proceed to the next step.
- It’s time to check your filters. First turn off the system’s power. The filter is located along the return air duct. Is it clean? A clogged filter can cause your system to overheat and shut down. If the filter is clean, proceed to the next step.
- Press and hold the “reset” button on the burner for 3 seconds. No matter what, do not push this button more than once. If your furnace doesn’t kick in after a few moments, it’s time to call in the professionals at W.H. Riley & Sons. Our trained and certified service technicians have the knowledge and experience to offer exceptional troubleshooting and furnace repair services. And we offer 24/7 emergency service.
Winter is just around the corner. Don’t wait until something goes wrong with your furnace. With regular maintenance, you can keep your heating system running efficiently all year. Let the experts at W.H. Riley & Son make sure your furnace is ready to work reliably and efficiently all winter long. Click here to see if you live in our service area.
W.H. Riley & Son is a full-service furnace company serving Massachusetts residents from Mansfield to West Bridgewater and from Somerset to Walpole. Contact us today to become a customer and let us handle all your furnace needs.