Is Your Heating Oil Tank Big Enough?
How to determine how big an oil tank you need
Because you live in or near Bristol County, you want to know your home will be warm when the temperatures outside start to drop. You probably already know how important it is that your oil tank never gets down to empty. An empty tank means a cold house and cold water. That’s not good, even in the hot summer months, but especially not during a cold New England winter! An empty tank can also cause the reduced efficiency or failure of your heating system.
If your heating oil tank is more than 25-30 years old, it’s time to start thinking about replacing it. This is also a good time to figure out what size oil tank your home really needs. Here are some of the basics you should know:
- The capacity of your tank should be on its nameplate. The most common above-ground size for residential use is 275 gallons. Larger homes may have a 330-gallon or 500-gallon tank. Underground tanks can be 1,000 gallons or more.
- The capacity listed on your tank’s nameplate is for a brand-new tank. Once debris starts to build up in your tank, your tank’s actual capacity will decrease.
- Generally, if your home has one or two bedrooms and is 2,500 square feet or smaller, a 275-gallon tank should suffice. Homes with three or four bedrooms might require a tank that can hold 330 or 500 gallons.
- It’s important to consider the space available in your home for a tank. Measure the dimensions of the available space and keep those numbers in mind as you consider your options.
- Another consideration to make is how many people your home needs to accommodate now versus how many people your home may need to accommodate in the future. If the size of your family might grow, you may want to choose a larger tank size than you currently need.
- Finally, consider your family’s habits. Do you prefer a warmer or cooler house? Are you frugal or eco-conscious? Is your home empty for long stretches of time while your family vacations?
With your oil tank in place, count on W.H. Riley and Son for your heating oil delivery needs. We deliver clean-burning Bioheat® fuel, which means that your heating system will not only burn fuel more efficiently but will last longer and require fewer repairs. We’ll also make sure you never have to worry about your oil tank’s levels getting too low. Just sign up for our automatic delivery program. We’ll monitor your usage and deliver oil well before you run out. And, we offer Tank Guard®, which protects you against tank corrosion and provides a $2,500-$3,000 warranty for the complete replacement of the tank—at no additional cost to you! Just ask us for details.
You can trust the experts at W.H. Riley & Son to keep you comfortable in your home all year long. We provide reliable service you can count on.
To learn more about dependable oil delivery and service from W.H. Riley & Son in southeastern Massachusetts contact us today.