Why Is Propane Considered a “Green” Fuel?
7 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About the Environmental Benefits of Propane
If you use propane in your New England home, you probably already know how powerful, safe, and versatile it can be, but did you also know that propane is also considered “green”? Here are seven facts you probably didn’t know about propane and its benefits for the environment.
- Propane is the only alternative fuel included in the 1990 Clean Air Act and the 1992 National Energy Policy Act.
- Propane is the lightest and simplest hydrocarbon on earth. Because of this fact, propane is one of the cleanest burning fossil fuels—producing almost no greenhouse gas. For example, using a propane instead of a traditional engine in a vehicle can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by as much as 90%.
- If there is a leak, propane is nontoxic and will not harm the surrounding air, plants, soil, water, or water-based organisms.
- Nearly 90% of the U.S. propane supply is produced domestically, so the carbon footprint associated with its transportation is smaller than that of fuels that must be brought to the U.S. from abroad.
- Using propane instead of electricity to cook, heat your water, heat your home, and dry your clothes could cut your carbon emissions in half.
- According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, propane is more efficient to produce than electricity, nearly two-thirds of which is lost between the power plant that produces it and the end consumer.
- In comparing the energy required for the extraction, processing, and transportation of propane versus electricity, propane is 87% efficient, but electricity is only 32% efficient. A higher energy efficiency is better for the environment.
Now that you know the environmental benefits of propane, let the experts at W.H. Riley & Son help you get the most out of propane in your home. We provide service you can count on.
To learn more about propane delivery or service from W.H. Riley & Son in southeastern Massachusetts, give us a call at (774) 643-0326 or visit our website.