How Big of a Heating Oil Tank Do I Need For My Home?
Consider home size, family concerns and storage space when choosing a tank
An average single-walled steel oil tank will last 20-25 years on average, which means that many people reading this may be due – or maybe even overdue – for a heating oil tank upgrade. But what size heating oil tank do you need? Let’s take a look.
What are common oil tank sizes?
The most common size for a residential heating oil tank size is 275 gallons. Some other common above-ground tanks include 288, 340, 420, 500, 550, 675, and 1000 gallons (underground tanks can be much larger).
Heating oil storage tanks may also come in different sizes depending on whether they’ll be installed above or below ground.
One thing to keep in mind is that the nameplate capacity of your tank (the number of gallons in its name) doesn’t represent the number of gallons of fuel it will actually hold. Some allowance must be made for air and debris in the tank. A 275-gallon tank will typically only hold about 235 gallons of heating oil, for example.
How large should my oil tank be?
Here is an industry rule-of-thumb for the size of oil tank you need to effectively heat your home:
- One or two-bedroom homes most often need a 275-gallon heating oil tank.
- Three or four-bedroom homes need a 300 to 500-gallon tank.
- Smaller homes may be able to get by with a 165-gallon tank.
What other factors should I consider when choosing an oil tank?
Other sizing factors to consider when shopping for a heating oil tank replacement include the following:
- Physical space: Some homes can’t fit larger heating oil tanks; be sure to measure your space before you start to shop for your tank.
- Family planning: As your family grows, so does your energy consumption; better to plan for this in advance if you can.
- New construction: Adding rooms or levels to your home will increase your fuel usage.
- Habits: Do you spend long stretches away from home? Are you going to transition to remote work?
- Age of people in your home: Do you have older adults under your roof who prefer a warmer house? What about a baby who needs more heat?
All of these factors affect the amount of heating oil you need — and how big a tank your tank should be.
W.H. Riley & Son Provides Heating Oil Tank Installation for North Attleboro & Nearby
We’ve been keeping families in North Attleboro, Taunton and other communities in southeastern Massachusetts since 1873. A lot has changed in that time, including the composition of oil tanks. Today’s tanks are lightyears beyond the older models, with double-walled construction and leak presentation technology.
One thing that hasn’t changed is our dedication to providing the most reliable heating oil delivery in the region.
To learn more about other considerations, including tank construction materials, optimal heating oil tank placement and more, contact a W.H. Riley & Son heating expert today.