Ductless Air Conditioners: When Are They The Right Choice?
Ductless (a.k.a. mini-split) systems can make sense as a cooling solution in a variety of homes. But there are some scenarios in which a mini-split ductless system has clear advantages over other cooling system alternatives.
Is a mini-split the right option for your space?
Here are five applications that are perfect for a ductless system:
- New additions – Ductless systems are ideal for home additions where ductwork isn’t shared with the main space. Choose sized-to-fit ductless air handlers for garage apartments, workrooms, sunrooms, and other discrete areas and you will have an efficient way to cool your space without adding to the load of your central air unit.
- Empty nesting – If your larger home sits empty for much of the time now that the kids are away at school, you probably rely on closing vents to reduce your cooling bills every month. The only problem with that is that it creates pressure imbalance issues and could even cause mold problems in those rooms. With a ductless system, you can have much finer control of how you “spend” your cool air.
- Catering to individual needs – Have someone living in the house that likes it (a lot) cooler than you? Set them up with a ductless A/C and you will all be happier. A ductless system is ideal for creating independent temperature zones in different rooms – far better than a zoned central cooling solution in terms of efficiency.
- Supporting “problem” rooms – Every house has THAT room – the one that’s hotter than all the others and notoriously difficult to keep cool. If you set the central thermostat to keep that room livable, the rest of the house becomes an icebox. A ductless system can tame a room that’s too hot to handle without breaking the bank.
- Adding high-efficiency cooling to a home with no ductwork – Ductless isn’t cheap, but it’s less expensive than adding ductwork or baseboards to an existing house, and it’s a far better performer than common window units.
As with any HVAC equipment, proper system sizing and installation is critical to getting the most from your ductless system: when you call the pros at W.H. Riley & Son, your ductless equipment will be chosen thoughtfully and installed the right way the first time, with no need for follow-up visits.
Considering a ductless A/C system? We can help! Contact W.H. Riley & Son today for a FREE, no-obligation estimate on a quiet, high-efficiency Mitsubishi ductless installation in northern Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts!