Changes in Fuel Consumption: Why We Need To Know
We know you live busy lives. But a quick phone call or note to us can help us to serve you better.
That’s especially true when it comes to fuel deliveries. Most of W.H. Riley & Son’s customers have automatic deliveries, freeing them from having to monitor their tanks and calling us for delivery.
Fuel deliveries are usually based on a couple of main factors: how cold it has been and how quickly you have consumed oil or propane in the past. To avoid the possibility of you running out of fuel, we try to get that delivery to you before there’s less than a quarter of a tank.
Factors in Changing Fuel Needs
However, there are changes to your home that can lead to an increase or decrease in your fuel consumption. These include:
- MORE PEOPLE IN THE HOME – A greater number of occupants generally increases fuel consumption, especially if your water heater is fueled by oil or propane. The rule of thumb is that each consumer will use five gallons of oil or propane a month for water heating.
- THE ADDITION OF AN IN-LAW APARTMENT – Not only will more people be in the home but more space needs to be heated.
- A CHANGE IN WATER HEATERS –As a result, switching to or from an electric water heater will greatly affect fuel consumption.
- AUXILIARY HEATING SOURCES – Wood-burning or pellet stoves have become a popular source of auxiliary heat. Please let us know if you’ve added one so you won’t get a fuel delivery you don’t need.
- A CONSTRUCTION PROJECT – Keeping doors and windows open during construction can lead to higher consumption.
Please contact W.H. Riley if one of these situations arises. We can be reached at 508-699-4651, 508-822-1282 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.