Mitsubishi Mini-Split Systems: How They Benefit Homes
Most people whose homes lack ductwork choose window air conditioners to take off the edge during the hot months. But there is an alternative to those loud, inefficient, light-stealing units: a ductless air conditioner.
Also known as mini-split systems, these compact, quiet systems consist of two components that connect through a small pipe in an external wall: the indoor air handler and the outdoor condenser or heat pump. A single condenser can handle up to four air handlers, creating flexible cooling zones in your home.
Ductless systems are extremely efficient, with most models having SEER ratings of 20 or more – well more than the required 14 rating (and far higher than window units, which typically run in the 14-15 range). But efficiency is just one benefit of a mini-split system.
Other improvements mini-splits give include:
- Placement flexibility – Air handlers can be installed wherever you need them (including rooms with no windows) and sized to the cooling load of the room where you place them.
- Cost efficiency – Not only will a high-efficiency ductless system help you save on your energy bills, it will also help you to precisely control cooling output using thermostats in each zone. Investing in a high-efficiency ductless system can also bring rebates and tax breaks, saving you even more on your purchase.
- Air quality – Because it has no ducts, a mini-split system avoids the problem of accumulating and distributing microorganisms like mold.
- Ease of installation – You’ll never have to drag an AC unit out of storage again! It only takes about a day to install a ductless system, with only a small (3”) pipe hole or two to show for the effort.
- Environmental performance – With a ductless system you’ll not only save energy, you’ll also use a more ozone-friendly refrigerant called R410A.
Ready to upgrade your old window A/Cs? We can help. Contact W.H. Riley & Son today to get a FREE estimate on Mitsubishi ductless air conditioner installation in northern Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts.
Please note: at W.H. Riley & Son, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home comfort systems working through this challenging time.